Monday, April 8, 2013

Playing video games

I love video games but I hate the guilt that comes with playing them. I don't think there is a single activity in the world that makes me feel more guilty about wasting my time than playing a video game. I know the saying is that if you're having fun and enjoying yourself then you are not wasting your time, but I can't help but think of the millions of other things that I could be accomplishing instead of playing a game. I wonder why that is?

I just recently bought myself an xbox. I love it, and I am addicted to the game Skyrim. I know that I am incredibly late to the party, but I can't help but be obsessed. There is so much to explore in the game, and it's just a lot of fun. I've spent hours playing it and I haven't even scratched the surface of the main story line. The biggest issue is that nagging feeling in the back of my head while I'm on a quest. "Why aren't you doing something that is more productive," it says. Why can't I seem to shake that.

I also have an addiction to the sims and that brings on even more guilt because I am literally watching my sims do a bunch of regular things. Why am I spending hours and hours watching my sims write a novel or paint a picture when I should be doing something like that for myself? I think that this is a huge issue for creative people. If you're an artist there is always guilt when you spend a lot of time doing something but you don't have a finished product of anything to show when you're though. Maybe if Skyrim started sending me little badges every time I accomplished something in the game I would start to feel a little better about it. That's all kinds of ridiculousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment