Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Musicals

I used to be a huge musical theatre geek and lately I have been feeling the love coming back. I used to live for musical movies and I would exclusively listen to broadway soundtracks. Lately I haven't been that way, but after watching some Wicked clips on Youtube I think I want to get back into musicals.

The first musical I ever saw on broadway was Aida and I was dazzled by it. I don't remember it very much now, but to someone as young as I was, it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Then I saw Phantom of the Opera and as soon as the chandelier got lifted up over the audience, that's when the true obsession began.

Since then I have seen several other musicals, and to this day Moulin Rouge remains one of my favorite movies. I was thrilled when Les Miserables came out because there is such a shortage of movie musicals, but unfortunately I cannot get into it at all. I got through about half of the movie, but I was too bored to go on. There just didn't seem to be any kind of plot, and the music was so repetative that I wanted to die at one point. I was so disappointed. I'll probably finish the movie eventually, but I really have no motivation to because it's so uninteresting.

I wish I had enough money to go and see more Broadway musicals. I want to see Wicked again, which is ridiculous because I already know that play inside and out. But I can't help it. I love it and I think it's one of the best things ever. I hope they turn it into a movie. For now, I'm going to have to be content with watching clips from different musical numbers on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment