Thursday, April 4, 2013

Drinking

People's love of drinking is one of the things I have never understood about life and growing up. As a kid I always assumed drinking alcohol would be an amazing thing since so many people did it, and people become addicted to it, and younger kids were always trying to get their hands on something to drink. I thought something amazing was going to happen the first time I had a drink. When I was in high school everyone I knew loved drinking and getting together to have beer. I never participated in anything like this. I'm not sure why but I guess I never was interested.

I didn't have my first real drink until I turned 21. I ordered a drink and I was horrified by what I tried. It was not delicious at all. Everyone told me that it was an acquired taste. 4 years later I still don't understand what the big deal about drinking is. It tastes awful, it's really expensive, and being drunk is actually the worst thing in the world. So what is the appeal?

I only like drinks that taste good and that is a very rare thing. I live for wine. Wine is absolutely delicious. And margaritas are pretty amazing tasting as well. But other than that I just don't understand.

This wouldn't be a problem for most people, but it's amazing how even when you become an adult there is so much peer pressure to drink. Whenever I don't have a drink everyone will always ask me why or offer to buy me something. I'm beginning to feel like the only thing that would possibly get people off of my case about drinking would be to lie about how I am a recovering alcoholic. Maybe this needs to be my new tactic. It's sad the things you have to do in life just to get people to leave you alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment